Yamhill Historic District
History of the Yamhill Historic District reflects the development of Portland as a city. During the area's early history, the district was part of the general "clearing" of Portland. As settlement increased, Yamhill developed as part of the central business district of the city. Many of the historic buildings were demolished during the 1940s and 1950s to make way for parking lots and new construction. Preservation efforts in the 1960s and 1970s led to the creation of a historic district, which now contains a variety of architectural styles and building materials, like High Victorian Italianate cast iron and brick Richardsonian Romanesque.
King's Hill Historic District
The King's Hill neighborhood was first settled in 1845 by Daniel Lownsdale. Amos King purchased a portion of Lownsdale property in 1852. Buildings on the tour range from 1882 to 1954, with a variety of architectural styles. Many notable Portland architects designed houses in the district, including Whidden & Lewis, A. E. Doyle, Jacob Jaccoberger, William Knighton and Emil Schacht. Many historic homes were demolished in the mid-20th Century as multi-unit buildings rose in their place. Historic architectural landscaping continues to define the neighborhood. The tour discusses prominent homes in the district, examining their styles and original owners, as well as the development of the neighborhood throughout the 20th Century.
The Mock's Crest neighborhood is named for Henry Mock, who first settled the North Portland peninsula in 1852. Henry's son Jon Mock took ownership of the land and constructed an elaborate Victorian house still standing on Willamette Boulevard. As the 20th Century progressed, Mock's Farm was subdivided and developed as "Mock's Crest." The tour examines the development of the neighborhood and several significant homes, including the Mock House, the Oregonian Master Model Home and the West Coast Woods Home.